Opelika Alabama History

A 16-year-old girl became the first African-American girl to get a regular news column in a local newspaper. Access April 4, 2016 by Alabama Historical Society, Alabama State Library, Opelika, AL.

In 1978, Fob James, who was born in Opelika, ran for governor of the state of Alabama and was elected for a four-year term. When Alabama created nine new counties from the former Indian territory, Lee County was founded in 1866. Soon after the war ended, the Alabama Legislature created a new district named after Confederate General Robert E. Lee. The town of Opelsville, a small town of about 1,000 people, became part of Lee County when it was established as a county by an act of state legislature on December 15, 1866.

The Alabama Legislature established a new district named after Confederate General Robert E. Lee shortly after the end of the war. Alabama's legislation created new districts just before the end of the war. Soon after, the Alabama Legislature created a newer county named after Confederate General Robert E. Lee and the Opelika area.

The Alabama Legislature established a new district shortly after the end of the war, named after Confederate General Robert E. Lee and the Opelika area. Alabama created new districts through legislation just before, after and during the war of 1861-1865. The Alabama Legislature created the new counties shortly before and at the end of the 1864 and 1865 wars.

The Alabama Legislature decreed that the city limits extend from Montgomery - West Point Railway Station to Montgomery West Point Railway Station in each direction for a mile.

Montgomery and West Point joined soon after in 1855, and soon after joined the Alabama State Railroad, the first of its kind in the United States. Montgomery and East Point, Alabama's second largest city and home to the state's first train station, were merged by Montgomery-WestPoint shortly before. Alabama and Eureka, Arkansas, a small town on the west side of Alabama, soon to join Montgomery & West Point

The second line connected Opelika with Atlanta, Georgia, and was to become an important hub for transporting unprocessed cotton from the southern plantations to the north. It quickly became the second largest railway line in the United States and one of the first in Alabama. The first line, the Alabama State Railroad, between Montgomery and West Point, quickly became the third-largest rail line on the state's west side.

Opelika became a real rail junction, and a dummy line ran between the city and the Alabama State Railroad Station at the northern end of the line, near the intersection of West Point Road.

In 1848, the Montgomery and West Point Railroad Company expanded the Montgomery, Alabama, to Opelika railway line, closing the connection to West Point, Georgia, and connecting it to Atlanta, Georgia. In 1847, a connection to Westpoint, Florida, was completed at the end of the Alabama State Railroad Station, connecting Opelsika with Atlanta and Georgia. The Montgomery & WestPoint Railroad Company expanded a railroad line from Alabama to Opelka in 1848, but not until 1851. By 1852, it had completed the connections ToWest Point, GA, with the opening of a new station in Opellika.

In 1848, the Montgomery & West Point Railroad Company expanded a railroad line from Montgomery, Alabama, to Opelika, connecting Opelsika with Atlanta and Georgia. On March 1, 1848, the extension of the Montgomery to Opelka railway line was completed. In 1847, a connection from Westpoint, Florida, was completed after the opening of a new station at Opellika, Alabama State Railroad Station, connecting Opelikas with Atlanta, GA. The Montgomery and WestPoint Railroad Co. expanded and expanded the railroad lines from Montgomery, Alabama, to Opellika in 1846, but not until 1851. By 1852, they had completed all the connections from Opolika to the west coast of Georgia and the border between Georgia and Alabama.

The first white settlers arrived in what is now known as Opelika after the Creek Indians ceded the land to the US government in 1832 under the Treaty of Cusseta. After the Montgomery & WestPoint Railroad Company opened its railroad line, settlers flocked to the area, and in 1836 the first whites and pioneer families arrived.

The area became known as Opelika, and after the forced expulsion of the Creek Indians (see the Path of Tears) the area became known as "Opelikas." The area is known for its "openings"; it first became known under the name "Otelika" in 1836 and then under its current name in 1847.

The city, which was located at the intersection of several railroad lines, was incorporated in 1854 and became part of the city of Opelika, Alabama, the first city in the state of Alabama. While the Confederates were defending Atlanta, railroad lines were destroyed when Union General Lovell Rousseau led an assault on east-central Alabama in mid-July 1864. In the summer of 1865, after the capitulation of Atlanta and the Battle of Fort Sumter, Opelsika was incorporated and settled.

More About Opelika

More About Opelika